energy maintainance

One of your most important concerns as a homeowner is keeping your Delaware home safe and well-maintained. Electrical wiring is a hidden part of the home that you use every day without giving it a second thought. In most cases, your wiring will continue to do its job with minimal maintenance. However, when wiring does show signs of a problem, it’s extremely important to call a professional immediately, because left untended, minor electrical issues can lead to a dangerous fire.

Your Circuit Breakers Trip Often

A single tripped breaker isn’t a big problem, but if your circuit breakers trip repeatedly, you should call in a professional. Breakers that trip on a regular basis usually indicate a problem with the breaker panel or wiring. The diagnosis could include anything from minor wiring repairs to an upgraded breaker panel. An electrician can help you assess the damage and determine the best course of action.

Your Lights Flicker or Dim Unexpectedly

The only time your lights should dim or brighten is when you’re adjusting a dimmer switch. Lights that don’t provide consistent, even light are a warning sign of a bigger problem. Flickering is often an indicator of a power surge. If a large appliance like your air conditioner puts excessive strain on your electrical system, it can cause a series of small power surges that result in flickering or dimming lights.

Though the flickering itself may seem like a minor inconvenience, the underlying cause can be a major hassle. Contact a professional to address the problem. If you’re experiencing frequent power surges, you may have bad circuits that an electrician can repair. If the problem isn’t in your circuits, you may need to address the size of your appliances. An HVAC technician can size your air conditioner to determine whether it’s too large for your home.

Your Outlets Are Warm to the Touch

You should never feel heat coming off your outlets. Even worse is when you can see actual sparks as you plug in an appliance. These are both indicators of bad wiring. Never unscrew the outlet yourself to take a look. Call a professional electrician immediately.

Your Electrical Outlets Give a Minor Shock

Have you received a minor shock or felt a tingling sensation just from touching your electrical outlets or appliances? First, consider whether you’ve just crossed a carpeted surface, because a very small shock could be from static electricity buildup. This is particularly common in winter. If this isn’t the case, or if you feel a tingling or shock from this outlet or appliance on multiple occasions, you should call an electrician. This may indicate a ground fault with your appliance or a problem with the electrical wiring. A professional will have the tools and experience needed to find the source of the issue.

You Smell a Burning Odor

A burning odor in the home is something you should always take very seriously. The first thing you need to do is trace the odor back to its source. If this leads you to an outlet or light switch, you should turn off the power at the electrical panel and call an electrician immediately.

A burning odor is a particularly serious issue because it could indicate the beginning of an electrical fire. Shutting off power to the area will help prevent a fire, but a professional assessment is crucial. Do not turn the power back on for this area until you have the all clear from your electrician.

You Notice Damaged Wires or Cut Insulation

If you’re doing work on parts of your home and notice damaged wires, faulty cable splices, or insulation that someone has clearly cut into, you’re probably looking at an amateur wiring job. If another family owned the home before you, there’s no telling what kind of work was attempted. You shouldn’t trust a DIY job that involves your electrical wiring. Call a professional to review the work and correct any errors.

If you’re experiencing any of the signs listed above, contact Custom Mechanical at 877-696-0808 for professional electrical repair services. We can help you assess and remedy the problem, and keep your home safe and functional.

Image provided by Shutterstock

Pin It on Pinterest