Each month, bill-paying time rolls around and millions of Americans cringe at how much they’re spending on power and energy. What many don’t realize is, they’re paying a lot more each month than they really need to. With these great tips, you can start saving energy dollars today.
- Turn down the temperature of your water heater to 120 degrees. This is more than hot enough to clean grime off your clothes and dishes. Any hotter and you’re wasting energy dollars just to scald your hands.
- Refrigerators, dishwashers, washing machines and many other large appliances have power-saving options. Read the manual to each appliance and figure out exactly how to access these, and you’ll cut down the financial impact of the largest energy-guzzlers in your house.
- Look around at your house’s lighting, and wherever possible, replace your incandescent lights with compact fluorescents. These bulbs take as little as 25 percent of the power your incandescents are currently using, and compact fluorescent bulbs can be found that fit almost any light fixture, so you have plenty of options to choose from.
- Check the dates on your major appliances, like your refrigerator. A new refrigerator may be pricey, but you’d be amazed at how quickly the energy-efficiency makes up for the cost.
- Make sure to replace your heat pump, furnace and air conditioning filters as recommended by the manufacturer or a professional. This seems like a small task, but it can make a world of difference when it comes time to pay your power bill.
- If you happen to own a heated waterbed, making your bed will save big on energy costs. The covers will keep the heat insulated, saving energy on keeping the bed warm and toasty.
These tips can and will save you big on your power bill each month, but if you’re looking for more ways to start saving energy dollars, look no farther than Custom Mechanical. Contact us today.